Sunday, May 10, 2009

2008

This year, I dedicated my entire track season to my hero, Gus Grissom. He has been my hero for a long time . I was in the relay, shot put, 800m walk and 400m walk again. After winning 3 gold and a silver at the district games,( I OWNED the 800m walk!! I even beat the guys!) I was on my way to my 10th consecutive state summer games!
We were well-behaved at the opening ceremonies and after lights out. However, a lot of my team mates and soccer players were chatting WAY too loudly among themselves, stomping up and down the stairs like elephants, and jumping off the top bunks!! We were on the top floor, the mess hall did not open until 0530-even then some people from OTHER teams did NOT need to up that early- and at 0445, my team mates were making all kinds of noise, turning on all the lights when people were still sleeping and shouting out to each other in that barracks where sound travels very well. Jumping off the top bunks makes a loud BOOMING sound downstairs, and our head coach chewed us about it.
My first event of the day was the 400m walk, and I won that with my team mate in second place. I also won shot put against 5 other women, and 5th place in relay. All the while, I wore my Apollo 1 lapel pin on my jersey.
ON Sunday, I owned the 800m walk by 75 meters!! I became a 24-time state champion!

In the fall, I won a bronze medal in bowling, gold at the local basketball games, and a bronze medal at the state winter games

No comments:

Post a Comment