Saturday, May 9, 2009

1999

I started Special Olympics in 1999 in March. My very first sport was swimming. I was 17 at that time. I participated in the 25m freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and 4x25m freestyle relay.
This was after a year of being OFFICIALLY diagnosed with autism. Autism is a developmental disability taht casused me either to lack or be dalayed in social skills, speech, motor skills. It cased me to be very repetative, hyperactive, self-stimming like you would never believe. I still can not make eye contact or be socialable.
In 1997, I started hallucinating. I had NO idea where the psychosis came frome, but it is GONE!!!
In swimming, I thought I would not win ANY medals at the district games. However, I won 2 gold and 1 silver medals, and I was going to my first state games! My very first competition in my life, and I get to go to a state games!!
Swimming at the state games are held at the Weyerhauser Aquatic Center in Federal Way. The opeing ceremonies are at McChord Air Force Base. I remember walking in line for the athletes parade with the track team and I was next to D.R.! D.R. kept lolligaggin and walking slowly causing B.N. to step on her heels. Then she would yell at him to stop. That went on repatedly, it was RIDICULOUS!! It went on for at least 10 minutes. DR would yell at BN, yet SHE was the one whop kept lolligagging. Finally, she truned around to tell B to STOP STEPPING ON HER FEET!!! Her coach yelled at her.
ON saturday, it was time to hit the pool. My first event was the 25m freestyle, and I was against a full field. I swam my arms off and WON THE GOLD MEDAL!!! My very first event at my very first state games, I won the gold! My backstoke event won me the silver medals, and we won the dsilver medal in the relay.
I did my backstoke on sunday in which I finished a stinking and very disappointing 6th place!

I also played softball and basketball and won silver medals in both sports. I am off to a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment